Home Page
news
geography
history
genealogy
links
ads
Site Map
More Links
Time line
Bronze age
Domesday Book
Directory 1836
Directory 1845
Directory 1868
Directory 1900
 
History Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk - 1836
Woodton is a large village and parish, 10 miles S. by E. of Norwich, containing 539 inhabitants, and 2200a. of land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom are John Winn Gooch, Esq., of Woodton Place and the Rev. Alfred Inigo Suckling, owner of the Hall, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 13s. 4d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Richd. Waldegrave Packer, M.A. TheChurch (All Saints) is a neat structure, which underwent considerable alterations in the reign of Edward I. Or II., and has several monuments to the Suckling family, one of wich has a marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robt. Suckling, Esq., who died in 1653. The poor have 18s. a. year from money left by several benefactors, and also land, left by Henry Moss, in 1705, and let in 1786 for £15 a year.
 
Directory:
John Alburgh, butcher;
James Balding bricklayer;
James Cole, beer seller;
J. W. Gooch, Esq., Woodton Place;
Jas. Gooch, blacksmith;
Jas. Harvey, saddler;
Robt. Leeder, jun., corn miller;
Saml. Legood, vict., Tumble-down-Dick;
John Loynes, shoemaker; Ham Millet, wheelwright;
Rev. R. . Packer, rector;
Isaac Smith, schoolmaster;
John Yelloly, M.D., Woodton Hall;
Farmers.
John Cunningham,
Sar. Dring,
Arthur Everett,
Wm. Franklin,
Cornelius. Goose,
Robt Leeder,
Robt. Pierson,
Robt Playford,
Robt. Roe,
John Thompson
John Warneil.

Carriers to Norwich, Wed. and Sat 7 morning., and Bungay same evenings.
Stage-Coach wagon around 1835
(Stage-Coach wagon around 1835)
White's Norfolk - 1845
Woodton, a pleasant village, 10 miles S. by E. of Norwich, and 5 miles N.W. by N. of Bungay, has in its parish 567 souls, and 2,112 acres of fertile land, belonging to several proprietors, - the largest of whom are Rbt Fellowes, and John Winn Gooch, Esqrs. The latter has pleasant seat here, called Woodton Place; but the Hall, which was long a seat of the Suckling family, was pulled down a few years ago. The CHURCH (All Saints,) is a neat structure, and among its monuments is the marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robt. Suckling, Esq., who died in 1653. The rectory, values in K.B. at £6 13s. 4d, is in gift of the Rev. S.M. Suckling, and incumbency of Rev. Richd. Waldegrave Packer, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £615 per annum, and the glebe is 26a. The Town Lands, which have been vested from early period, for the repairs of the church, &c., consist of 10a. 1r 29 p., in Brooke, let for £12; and 26a. 3r. 8p. in Woodton, let for £20. The latter was received in exchange at the enclosure in 1814. Here is Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1836. In 1705, Henry Moyse left, for the relief of the poor of Woodton, a house, barn, stable, and 20a. of land at Ellingham, now let for £30 a year, which is distributed in bread and money at the church. The poor have also two yearly ren-charges, viz: 6s left by Nicholas Wilton, in 1665; and 10s, left by one Bardwell, out of land at Geldeston.
 
Directory:
J.W. Gooch, Esq. Woodton Place,
Rev. R. W. Packer, M.A. Rectory;
John Alburgh, butcher;
Jas. Harvey, saddler;
Robert Leeder, jun., corn miller;
John Lynes, shoemaker;
Ham. Millet, wheelwright;
Robt. Roc, gent.;
John Smith, and Wm. Yallop, shopkeepers;
Isaac Smith, schoolmaster;
Farmers
John Cunningham,
Arthur Everett,
Wm. Franklin,
Cornis. Goose (cornelius),
Robt. Leeder,
Robt Pierson,
Robt Roe,
John Thompson,
John Warmoll.
 
Carriers pass daily to Norwich, Bungay, &c.
Tumbledown Dick in the 50's
The Tumbledown Dick P.H. at Woodton (1950's Photo L.M. Baldwin)
Harrod and Co's Postal and Commercial directory 1868
WOODTON is a parish and village in Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Norwich diocese, archdeaconry of Norfolk and rural deanery of Brooke, distant 10 miles S.E. of Norwich. 5 miles N. of Bungay The area of the parish is 2,001a. 1r. 15p., rated at £2837 10s., which belong to several owners; the largest is Robert Fellowes, Esq., lord of the manor. The church (All Saints) is an old structure principally in the early decorated style, and consists of a nave, chancel, south aisle, north porch, and tower containing six bells. The interior contains a monument with a kneeling marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robert Sucking , Esq., who died in 1652, also several tablets of the Suckling, Bone, and other families. The living is a rectory, annual value £505, with residence; the Rev. Richard Waldegrave Packer, M.A., is the incumbent. The tithe have been commuted for £622 per annum ; the glebe is 26 acres. There are charities amounting to about £65 per annum, bequeathed to the poor and for the repairs of the church. The poor have also two other yearly allowances, amounting to 16s. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The population in 1861 was 351.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. - Letters are received through Bungay, which is the nearest money-order office and post town.
 
Cullen Miss Diane
Packer rev. Richard Waldegrave, M.A., rector, the Rectory
GENERAL TRADES, &c.
Beckett Salim, carpenter
Baldwin George, bricklayer
Catchpole Mrs., milliner and linendraper
Everett Arthur, King's Head
Everett Robert Last, shopkeeper and corn miller
Flegg Robert, The Tumble Down Dick
Foulger George, shopkeeper
Girling Mrs. Harriet, shopkeeper
Gooch Mrs. Elizabeth, blacksmith
Gooch henry, parish clerk
Harvey George, harness maker
Howard Miss, girls' day school
Lake Walter, butcher and dealer
Loynes Jonathan, shoemaker
Tidman William, wheelwright and blacksmith
Webb Miss Maria, shopkeeper
FARMERS
Beckett Robert
Bentley John
Bunn Abraham
Cunningham William
Everett Arthur John, and landowner
Foluger George
Hawes William
Leeder Palmer, sen.
Right William, and dealer
Sayer Daniel
Sewell John W., and landowner, Woodton Lodge
Shorten Richard
Varnell John
Warmoll Edward, Woodton Hall
 
Kelly's Norfolk directory 1900
WOODTON is a parish and village. 4 miles north-west from Ditchingham station on the Waveney Valley section ot the Great Eastern railway, 10 south-east from Norwich and 5 north-west from Bungay, in the Southern division of the county. Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering petty sessional division and union, county court district of Bungay, rural deanery of Brooke, eastern division, arch-deaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of rubble and flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch (serving as a vestry), south porch and an embattled west tower, circular at the base, with an octagonal belfry, containing a fine peal of 6 bells, renovated and re-hung in 1889, at a cost of £40: in the church is a marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robert Suckling esq. ob. 1653: the church was restored in 1878-9. when it was new roofed, reseated, a south porch added, the Norman font of Purbeck marble renovated and placed in a recess at the entrance of the church and the whole refloored: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living as a rectory, net yearly value £350, including 24 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Frederick Edward Long M.A. and late fellow of that college. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The church lands of 10a. 1r. situated In Brooke parish, are now let for a yearly rent of £11,which sum is applied for the repairs of the church: there are also 26a. 3r. of land for the relief of the poor in the parish, now let for £10: Henry Moyse, in 1705, devised 20 acres of land in Geldestone and a house, barn and stable, now let £35 yearly, which is distributed at the church in bread and coals: the poor have also two othet yearly allowances, amounting to 16s. Robert Fellowes esq. of Shotesham Park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,124 acres; rateable value, £1,657; the population in 1891 was 455.
Parish Clerk, Jonathan Aldis.
Post & M.O.O., S.B. & annuity & Insurance Office - John Richard Royal, sub-postmaster. Letters through Bungay arrive 7.30 a.m. & dispatched at 4.45 p.m.; sundays, dispatched at 11 a.m. Hempnall, 4 miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 14 October, 1875 ; Isaac L. Easton, clerk to the board
Board School (mixed), built in 1876, at. a cost of £1000, & enlarged in 1895, for 120 children; average attendance, 86; Roscoe Frederick Marston. master; Mrs. Marston, mistress.
 
Johnson REV Robert Litson M.A. (curate)
Long Rev Fdk Edwd M.A. Rectory
Tidman James, Woodton lodge
Ward Mrs
Commercial
Baldwin Benjamin, bricklayer
Baldwin Charles, bricklayer & farmer
Beckett Selim, carpenter
Blythe Joseph, farmer
Button John, shopkeeper
Eastoe Charles, farmer
Easton Isaac, farmer & assistant overseer, Manor farm
Eldon Philip,grocer & draper
Everett Thomas aldis, shopkeeper & miller (wind)
Fairhead John, farmer
Gooch Henry, blacksmith
Harvey George, harness maker
Henry William, Tumbledown Dick P.H.
Peckitt John, farmer, Hill farm
Penn William, farmer Riches
George (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Smith James, hurdle maker
Tidman James, farmer Woodton lodge
Tidman William, carriage builder
Vincent Alice (Mrs.), King's Head P.H.
Woolnough William, farmer
Go to Top
 

 

Several monuments to the Suckling family
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Go to Top
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Hall, which was long a seat of the Suckling family, was pulled down a few years ago
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Go to Top
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Robert Fellowes, Esq., lord of the manor
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Go to Top
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
School (mixed), built in 1876, at a cost of £1000, & enlarged in 1895, for 120 children; average attendance, 86;
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WWW.WOODTON.INFO Last Update: 05/03/2005